Sunday, March 12, 2017

Carew Tower Observation Deck in Cincinnati


I've always been one who enjoys getting a birds eve view whenever I can. I love seeing Chicago from the top of the Willis Tower (Sears Tower to longtime Chicagoans) or the John Hancock Center or the ferris wheel at Navy Pier. I loved flying over Niagra Falls in a helicopter. I enjoyed dining at Nick and Nino's in Springfield from the 30th floor. If there's a tourist destination somewhere up in the sky that gives me a great view, I'm all over it.

So, when I was traveling through Ohio last month and decided to spend a couple days in Cincinnati, I was excited to see that there was an observation deck at the top of the Carew Tower where I could look out at the Cincinnati skyline, the many bridges that cross over the Ohio River and the river towns in Kentucky.

Construction on the building began in January, 1930 and they set a record by setting 15,000 tons of steel framework in only 61 days. The building has beautiful art deco accents, including 23 elevators that shuttle visitors up and down quickly - just 32 seconds to go 574 feet. 

To get to the 49th floor observation deck at the top, you switch elevators and then have to make your last light by way of stairs. The observation deck is outdoors and completely open, something I wasn't expecting. But, since we were visiting on a very unseasonably warm weekend where it hit 70 degrees in February - it couldn't have been a more perfect time to visit. 

If you find yourself in Cincinnati, be sure to take time for a visit. The observation deck is open Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Also, keep in mind that they take cash only, so be prepared so that you don't have to make your way back down to search for an ATM. Admission is $4 for ages 12 and under, $2 for age 6 - 11 and free for 5 and under.
We were staying at the Residence Inn by Marriott in the historic Phelps Building, which was just a few blocks away. And, as I mentioned, we had perfect weather so it was a great time to take a walk and explore the downtown area. I would highly recommend it for lodging, especially if you are traveling with kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prairie Guest House, Fishers Indiana

On a recent media trip in Indianapolis, I spent a little time in Hamilton County, staying at the Prairie Guest House Bed & Breakfast in ...