If you have followed the blog or Facebook page, you know that the Santa Claus, Indiana area is one of our favorite places to travel as a family. Our most recent visit was this past fall as we enjoyed the Halloween season at Holiday World and Lake Rudolph Campground & RV Resort. This press release arrived in my inbox recently and I'm excited to hear that 2013 was such a good year for Spencer County. Here's hoping 2014 is even better!
Local Business Investment Adds to Spencer County Tourism Growth
January 16, 2014 (Santa Claus, Ind.) –The Spencer County Visitors Bureau reports that continued investment by local businesses contributed to a successful tourism season. More lodging choices, new water slides, additions and improvements to county attractions, and special events helped make 2013 a successful year for attracting visitors to the county.
“Tourism businesses offered enhancements and additions in 2013, which led to a great year for Spencer County,” says Melissa Brockman, executive director of the Spencer County Visitors Bureau. “Businesses continue to show a commitment to growing the county as a family destination by constantly improving and offering new visitor experiences.”
Highlights of the past year include:
• Four new in-the-dark water slides in a complex called Hyena Falls, a classic teacup ride named Kitty’s Tea Party, and the Holidog Express train were added at Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari, as well as a larger high-dive pool, stage, and seating area to replace the current theater.
• A new lodging facility, Holiday Guest House Suites, opened near Dale.
• Santa’s Splashdown, featuring five new water slides, and 22 additional Rudolph’s Christmas Cabins were added at Lake Rudolph Campground & RV Resort.
• Three more cottages and a basketball court were added at Santa’s Cottages.
• A new bedding program that includes pillows, blankets, scarves, and skirts was introduced at Comfort Inn & Suites in Rockport.
• The Lincoln State Park camp store kitchen was upgraded.
• The newly restored original Santa Claus Post Office for visitors to write letters to Santa was opened as part of the Santa Claus Museum & Village, along with the release of the Santa Claus history book and new events.
• Santa’s Stables upgraded the trails and fencing, and added horses.
• The second year of Family Fall-O-Weekends packages contributed to a 7.4% increase in innkeeper’s tax collected during September and October.
The Visitors Bureau encourages guests to stay overnight and visit county attractions, shops, and restaurants.
For more information about Spencer County as a year-round destination, call (888) 444-9252 or visit www.SantaClausInd.org